Music is a massive part of most people’s lives. It is a way to express yourself and has been linked to many health benefits, including improved mood and decreased depression. In addition, because of the rise of modern technology, there has never been more ways to listen to it – such as on personal music players, via the computer and Bluetooth devices, and in the car. When listening in the latter, it is possible to have equipment that will really get the best out of your music so that you can enjoy it to the highest level of quality. Below we are going to look at a set of speakers you can fit into your existing vehicle to really boost those tunes.
Why should I be interested?
The Kenwood KFC-6965S 6" x 9" 3-Way Flush Mount Speakers come from speaker aficionados Kenwood, a company that has been in operation since 1947. You know that you can buy with confidence, as unlike many other companies Kenwood have been in the speaker game for a long time. Kenwood’s KFC-6965S speakers take advantage of the company’s technical knowledge and advanced material usage to give your music that sumptuous high-quality, rich sound it deserves.
What is the sound output and what are the special features?
Designed for those who want to get really powerful bass and high-quality treble from their in-car entertainment, the KFC-6965Ss have a fantastic 600 watts of maximum power output, which equates to a punchy 89 dB/w at the 1m sensitivity range. In addition, there is a frequency range response all the way from 60Hz up to 2500, so you know that all levels of your music are going to be outputted at the highest level.
What is the design?
Made to fit in place of your existing 6” x 9” speakers, the Kenwoods are flush mounting speakers with a 3-way design that contains a brand new polypropylene hybrid cone with a rubber butyl surround (which lowers the change of wearing and keeps the music playing no matter what the conditions), a diamond array pattern (which means that you get more dynamic response with a far lower level of distortion), along with a ferrite magnet. Coming in a sleek and sexy black colour, the Kenwood speakers also have a silver finish around the treble output, to really enhance the look, as well as a hard black steel basket surround that really looks the part (and prevents the speaker from getting unnecessary damage.
It is important to note that as the Kenwood speakers are designed to specifically fit in a surrounding encasing, that you need to ensure that the space in your vehicle is the same size, to avoid them not fitting correctly. It is best to go to a vehicle shop that can remove your old ones and check the specifications there. If the speakers came as factory standard with your car then you can check your owner’s manual for more details on the size and shape of fitting.
What are the size specifications?
The speakers themselves are 153mm by 229mm, with the Mid-Range section being 1 inch (25mm) with a soft Dome Diaphragm to really push out the sound, as well as a 3/4 inch (19mm) P.E.I Balanced Dome Design.
What comes inside the box?
Below is a full list of everything that you will find when you open the box for the The Kenwood KFC-6965S 6" x 9" speakers:
- The speakers themselves
- 2 Grilles
- 2 Grille frames
- Two 11" lengths of speaker wire.
- 8 x 1-1/2" Self-tapping screws
- 8 x M4x70mm machine screws
- 8 Large flat washers
- 8 Small flat washers
- 8 Split lock washers
- 8 xM4 Hex nuts
- 2 x 4" Strips of speaker grille putty
- Warranty information
- Template and specifications on box for fitting etc.
What are other people saying about the speakers?
Unsurprisingly the Kenwood KFC-6965S speakers have proven themselves to be quite popular among the general public.
Some of the positive review highlights include:
- Fantastic packaging that kept the speakers protected whilst still sealed and helps to prevent any damage before opening.
- A fantastic level of sound output with high-quality production at all frequencies, even when pushed to their uppermost limits.
- Quite easy to fit yourself with even only a basic level of DIY skills at your disposal. Instructions quite clear for how to fit to give that added piece of mind.
Some of the more negative reviews (of which there aren’t very many) did highlight a few potential concerns:
- Kenwood only provide double-sided sticky tape to hold the speakers in place, and some reviewers were concerned that with constant use and extensive vibration (especially if played at louder levels) this could eventually peel off, causing the speakers to fall out. No one had mentioned this actually happening, however so it seems that it is more something to look out for in the future. In addition, adding extra tape yourself could be another way to help combat this potential issue.
- The fitting of the speaker frame grill is somewhat cumbersome according to some, due to you needing to cut putty into shape yourself and fit it around the rim of the speaker, before putting the grill in place. This was highlighted a couple of times, yet all eventually managed it, so it doesn’t appear to be too much of an overall issue.
What can we conclude?
It seems that The KFC-6965S 6" x 9" 3-Way Flush Mount Speakers are a fantastic high-quality set of speakers for the front of your car, that will give you a great return for your relatively small investment. You can buy with the confidence that you always get buying a Kenwood music product, and install them with relative ease, although there might be some minor niggles with setting the cage in place. If you are looking for some good quality music output on the go, then you can’t really go wrong with the Kenwood KFC-6965S.