Best Under Seat Subwoofer 2020 – Our Top Pick and Buying Guide
Everyone appreciates deep and high-quality bass while listening to music in their car. However, getting such kind of bass is not easy. You’ll need a powerful car music system to get the best bass. This includes adding a subwoofer. Under seat subwoofers are some of the best car subs. They are simply installed under the seat such that they’ll be out of view and you’ll save your boot space. However, not all car subs are designed equal. But how would you know which is superior over the other? It’s simple. You simply compare the features, pros, and cons that come with each option. With such details, you’ll know the option suitable for your needs. With that said, here’s what you need to know about the best subwoofers that can be installed under the seat of your car, including a review of each subwoofer and a buying guide.
Read Related Article: Best Car Subwoofer in 2020
Comparison Table for Top 5 Best Under Seat Subwoofer for 2020
|Subwoofer Name||Power handling||Subwoofer Size||Our Rating||Price|
|Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch [Overall best]||Peak:600wRMS:300w||12 Inch|
|Rockville RW10CA||Peak:800wRMS:200w||10 Inch|
|Pioneer TS-SWX2502||Peak:1200wRMS:300w||10 Inch|
|Kicker 11HS8||RMS:150w||8 Inch|
|Cerwin-Vega Mobile VPAS10||Peak:450wRMS:200w||10 inch|
1. Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch – Overall Best Under Seat Subwoofer
We rank Rockford at the top based on its amazing and unique features. It has everything you would need in a car sub. It’s designed for powerful bass, all in a compact enclosure. Here’s why this sub made it to the top of our review.
Features and Benefits of Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch
- It has an inbuilt class D amplifier- You’ll not have to spend more money buying an amp. You’ll simply hook the sub to your car stereo and get deep bass since the sub will amplify the sound with its own amp.
- The subwoofer also comes with an inbuilt equalizer for the best sound balancing- You can easily adjust the gain level and bass boost for deeper bass. What more would you want when you have such tone controls in a subwoofer?
- The enclosure of the sub is sealed- The tight sealing allows the sub to deliver tight bass. This way, you’ll get accurate bass.
- It’s also worth noting that this sub comes with a crossover control- The low pass crossover control allows for adjustable filtering to control the bass level.
- Moreover, the subwoofer has a remote control- You can adjust the tone from the comfort of your seat. You’ll not struggle trying to reach for any controls under the seat.
What We Like
- Inbuilt phase switch
- Detachable ground and power connector
- Intelligent turn on or off function
- Thermal and voltage protection
- Remote control
- Bass boost equalizer and low pass crossover
What’s Do Not Like
- The plywood panel housing the inputs is a bit thin
- Its price is on the upper side
- There’s some slight distortion when using bass boost at high volume
Verdict: If you want to forget about the challenges that come with a separate amp and sub, then Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch is made for you. Grab this all-in-one subwoofer right away.
2. Rockville RW10CA
Rockville RW10CA has not been left behind in the competition. It’s extremely slim, and this makes it quite unique among its competitors. Its slim design makes it fit even in the smallest under seat spaces. Let’s look at other reasons why this subwoofer made it among the best subwoofers in our review.
Features and Benefits of Rockville RW10CA
- This sub is compliant to CEA-2006- This compliance means that the ratings and specifications indicated on the product are approved by third parties. Thus, you’ll rest assured of investing in a product that will deliver the actual power stated on the product.
- The sub is an all-in-one solution- It comes with an inbuilt amp for more power and bass. This reduces the amount of wiring needed, such that you’ll get a clean and easy installation.
- Auto turn on and off- The sub comes with high-level inputs that eliminate the need to use a remote cable from the receiver for triggering the unit on or off. It simply senses the presence or absence of a signal to turn on or off automatically.
- It features amazing controls- There is a responsive control for adjusting the volume to your liking. You can also use the phase control and bass boost according to your preference.
- Won’t you love the subsonic filter in this sub? This filter filters out low frequencies that a human ear may not hear. The result is enhanced bass.
- Inputs and outputs are housed on the same side- This makes wiring easier. It also ensures the wiring is neat since it all goes to one side.
- Very affordable
- Extremely slim and fits in most cars
- Low pass filter
- Sturdy enclosure
- Comes with mounting hardware
- Clean and solid bass
- The bass is not deep enough to win a bass competition
- Tends to overheat after some hours, so thermal protection will keep tripping
- A bit of distortion at high volume
Verdict: Any car owner who has limited space but still want to add some bass to their car music system should consider investing in the Rockville RW10CA subwoofer.
This Pioneer sub stands out for being shallow in depth and has a small enclosure, yet it delivers deep bass. Thus, it will give you the hard-hitting bass you have been missing without taking much of your car space. Let’s look at its hits and misses and why it’s worth your consideration when shopping for a car sub.
Features and Benefits of Pioneer TS-SWX2502
- Large cone structure- The large cone that comes with this speaker is shallow yet large. This allows it to offer deeper bass without taking much space. The design also allows for a small enclosure.
- The cone is injected with molded resin- This cone construction technique creates a very rigid and long-lasting cone. The rigidness of the cone also allows for more accurate bass.
- This sub comes with a dual spider- The benefits of the dual spider is offering more control over the movement of the cone. This allows for stable movement and more accurate bass response.
- The enclosure is one of a kind- Its exterior surface is carpeted. The surface is scratch resistant and does not slip easily.
- Its push terminals are angled- They make it extremely easy to connect the speaker cable. This type of terminals also save on space.
- Fits in most vehicles
- Shallow speaker basket
- Compact and innovative enclosure
- Fully carpeted surface
- Mounting screws and mounting brackets
- Average price range
- Powerful inbuilt amp
- The cone does not have a protective grille
- Some rattling at high volume
- Misses out on some extreme lows
Verdict: If you’re trying to save on space, you’re on a tight budget, and still want some hard-hitting bass, then Pioneer TS-SWX2502 is made for you.
4. Kicker 11HS8
Kicker is known for manufacturing subwoofers with advanced technologies and uniqueness. The Kicker 11HS8 stands out for its ground-pounding and clear bass. It uses the latest bass technologies to deliver the best lows. Read on to find out more reasons why we featured this sub in our best under seat subwoofer review.
Features and Benefits of Kicker 11HS8
- Compact design- This subwoofer is almost unnoticeable. It looks like a sturdy briefcase, yet it’s a subwoofer with booming bass.
- Great lows- The subwoofer is designed to deliver great low frequency despite being small in size. Thus, it assures you of great bass performance.
- Powerful inbuilt amplifier- Kicker comes with an inbuilt 150 watts amplifier. With this amp, you’ll be assured of getting deeper bass without having to add a separate car amp.
- Fastened nylon straps- This sub comes with an easy to connect plug for power. The nylon straps are fastened and allow for a tight installation and easy unplugging.
- Remote controls- The sub has remote control for bass and remote turning on. You can adjust the bass level and fine tune it. You can also adjust the low pass filter.
Why you’ll love Kicker 11HS8
- Compact design
- EQ boost
- Gain control
- Remote bass
- Aluminum cone
- Wiring harness
You might not like:
- Higher price range
- Some rattling noise at high volume
- No RCA inputs
Verdict: Kicker 11HS8 is the best deal you can get if you would want a car subwoofer with advanced technology features. Grab it today and feel the bass.
5. Cerwin-Vega Mobile VPAS10
This Cerwin-Vega subwoofer is designed for superior bass quality, with a capability of handling 200 watts RMS and a peak power of 450 watts. You get all this power in a compact design to save you space. Let’s see why this sub found its way into our review.
Features and Benefits of Cerwin-Vega Mobile VPAS10
- Comes with a 10 inch woofer- The large 10 inch woofer ensures you get loud bass. The large woofer also delivers high-quality bass.
- Adjustable input sensitivity- This technology is beneficial in that you can set the sensitivity of the input to your liking. You’ll have the freedom to control the kind of bass you get.
- Compact design- The compartment is designed to fit even the smallest under seat spaces. Thus, it can fit in most vehicles without struggling to create extra room for the sub.
- Delayed turn on feature– The remote turn on feature that comes with this sub is soft and delayed. The benefit of this feature is preventing ear shock.
- Thermal protection mechanism- It’s also worth noting that this sub comes with a circuit for thermal protection. The circuit is made of aluminum and assists in dissipating heat for consistent performance.
- MOSFET power supply
- Bass boost
- Phase switch
- Thermal protection
- Adjustable low-pass filter
- RCA inputs
- Higher price range
- Tends to cut out after some hours of use
- A bit challenging to tune the sub
Verdict: The Cerwin-Vega Mobile VPAS10 is extremely sturdy, yet compact. While its price tag is on the upper side, always remember that quality matters most.
Buying Guide For Best under Seat Subwoofer
Now that you’ve gone through some of the best car subwoofers suitable for placement under the seat, how can you make the ultimate choice? Well, you only need to consider certain factors when making your choice. Without considering these factors, you may end up making a regrettable choice. However, with the right information, you can make the best choice possible. With that said, here are the factors you should consider when choosing an under seat car subwoofer.
Remember you’ll be installing the subwoofer under the seat of your car. The space below the seat is often minimal. Thus, you’ll want to go for a subwoofer that can fit in such a small space. This means choosing a compact subwoofer. It should fit well below the seat such that it does not protrude from the sides. It’s best when it fits all the way in without any side protruding outwards or without struggling to create more space to fit it in.
Ease of Installation
You’ll be working under a tight space when installing the speaker beneath the seat. Thus, the speaker you choose should be easy to install. The speaker and power inputs should be easily accessible, preferably on a side panel of the enclosure. This way, you’ll not struggle to hookup or unhook cables from your stereo to the sub.
Ease of Use and Control
The last thing you would want is struggling to reach out for some buttons below your seat. Thus, consider a sub that has remote control features. This will allow you to control different options without struggling to search for buttons. In case you must use the onboard controls, they should be well positioned and easily reachable.
Also, a sub that comes with auto turn on and off features would be an added advantage since it will sense the presence of a signal and turn on automatically or sense the absence of a signal and turn off automatically. This will make it more user-friendly.
Active or Passive
Some subwoofers require an external source of power while others don’t. Active subwoofers have their own power while passive options require an external power source. If you’re keen on saving space, faster installation, and less cabling, then an active sub would be the best deal. It comes with its own amplifier, thus you won’t need to invest in a separate amp and more complicated installation.
Not all under seat subs are designed equal. Some are more powerful than others. Here, the choice you’ll make should depend more on your preference. If you want deeper and hard-hitting bass, you’d rather consider a more powerful sub. However, if you only need standard bass, the power rating of the sub won’t be much of an issue.
Every car owner wants the best sound in their car. Most importantly, bass matters a lot to most car owners who love driving while listening to music. However, getting hard-hitting bass demands having the best subwoofer. There’re many types of subs suitable for cars. Under seat subs are the best choice when saving on space. They have proven to offer deep bass, yet they take minimal space. They’re specially designed to fit in the tight area below the seat. Grab one today from the ones reviewed here to add booming bass in your car. Also, don’t forget to consider the aforementioned factors when making your choice.