Monoblock amplifiers are among the most highly regarded amplifier types. They are also called one-channel amps because each chassis has one channel. Monoblocks provide superior power amplification. Since they only have one channel, all power is dedicated to that channel. In addition to providing dedicated power to the channel, monoblocks are known for producing higher-quality sound. There is no sharing of power between channels, thus less muddying of sound.
You are here because you are keen to give your subwoofers an amp that will bring out the best in them. Reputable car audio equipment manufacturers such as Rockford Fosgate, Boss Audio, Rockville, Planet Audio, Skar Audio, Kenwood, and Audiopipe have their monoblock versions contending for leadership on the market. As expected, these companies provide the best monoblock amplifiers on the market.
To choose the right amp for your audio system, you need to evaluate different amps. This way, you will be able to choose one that has the specifications matching the needs of your speakers and other components of your car audio system.
Table of Contents
- Comparison Table for Best Monoblock Amplifiers 2020
- How we selected the best monoblock amps
- 1. Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Prime 1-Channel Class D Amplifier Best in 2020
- 2. BOSS Audio Systems AR1500M
- 3. Kicker 43CXA6001 Mono Amplifier
- 4. RIOT 1100 Watts, Mosfet Monoblock Power Amplifier R1100M
- 5. Rockville dB14 4000 Watt/1000w
- 6. Planet Audio AC1500.1M
- 7. Hifonics BRX2416.1D Brutus
- 8. Kenwood KAC-9106D 2000W Monoblock
- 9. Skar Audio RP-2000.1D
- 10. Audiopipe APMI-2000
- Factors to Consider When Looking for the Best Monoblock Amplifier
- Our overall best monoblock amplifier is Rockford Fosgate R500X1D
Comparison Table for Best Monoblock Amplifiers 2020
|Amplifier||Power handling||Frequency range||Our Rating||Price|
|Rockford Fosgate R500X1D [Overall best]||500W RMS x 1 channel @ 2 Ohms||20Hz-250Hz|
|BOSS Audio AR1500M||1500W max x 1 channel @ 2 Ohms||35Hz-2200Hz|
|Kicker 43CXA6001||600W RMS x 1 channel @ 2 Ohms||25Hz – 200Hz|
|RIOT R1100M||1100W max @ 2 Ohms||9 Hz to 50,000Hz|
|Rockville dB14 4000W||1000W RMS x 1 Channel @ 2 Ohms||15Hz – 250Hz|
|Planet Audio AC1500.1M||1500W max x 1 Channel @ 2 Ohms||15Hz – 20,000 Hz|
|Hifonics BRX2416.1D||1600w RMS x 1 channel @ 2 Ohms||10Hz – 250 Hz|
|Kenwood KAC-9106D||1,000W RMS x 1 channel @ 2 ohms||20Hz -200 Hz|
|Skar Audio RP-2000.1D||2,000w RMS at 1-ohm||20Hz – 250Hz|
|Audiopipe APMI-2000||1300w RMS x 1 channel @ 2 ohms||8Hz – 180 Hz|
How we selected the best monoblock amps
We’ve done most of the research work for you. It is our mandate to provide you with useful facts for purchasing the best amplifier. We searched deep and wide among different options aiming at producing a list of 10 top-performing monoblock amplifiers in 2020.
We first determined the crucial factors that determine the quality and performance of a mono amp. Next, our desk researchers searched for amps that meet these criteria. We tested different amps to get the first-hand experience with each amp while in action. We also did an analysis of customer reviews on reputable online car audio equipment vendors.
In our research, the aim was to leave no stone unturned with regard to ascertaining the performance of each amplifier with a place in the final selection. What we present in this review is unbiased reviews of each of the selected monoblocks. It is the work of a diverse team of car audio equipment technicians, researchers, reviewers, and real customers. After reading this detailed review and buying guide, you will be in a better position to choose the right amp for your car’s audio system.
1. Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Prime 1-Channel Class D Amplifier Best in 2020
The R500X1D Prime brings to the table the best industry leader Rockford Fosgate. This 1-channel Class D amp drives 500W RMS into one channel at 2 Ohms. It has a frequency range of 20Hz-250Hz. Besides, this premium amp offers a variety of features that finesse audio output. See below some of its distinguishing attributes:
Features of Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Prime
- Rockin’ bass in a small, compact package: This CEA-2006 compliant Prime series mono amp provides up to 500 watts RMS to drive your sub. Use the low-pass filter and punch boost to get the best sounding bass from your car audio system. Its small and sleek design is part of Rockford Fosgate’s recent efforts to make sure you have a powerful amp that fits in small spaces.
- High efficiency and flexibility: The amp’s Class D circuitry and high-efficiency design reduce current consumption thanks to its MOSFET power supply. For this reason, the amp delivers more power compared to most Class A and Class A/B amplifiers at the same current level. In addition, the amp gives you more flexibility in terms of the music to which you can listen.
- Sound control: Wouldn’t you be delighted with an amplifier that gives you the freedom to easily control bass output for your listening pleasure? Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Prime features several audio control tools. Check out the onboard punch bass boost and remote bass level control. Together with the low-pass filter, these tools facilitate the production of loud, non-distorted low frequencies. The resulting sonic experience is unmatched.
- Heat and current protection: Overvoltage, short-circuiting, or overheating problems are not a concern for users of this amp. Its thermal sensing cast aluminum heatsink, tri-stage power system, and ground connectors have heat and current protection adequately cared for. Feel free to turn the bass all the way up knowing that the amp can handle the task.
- It delivers loud and vibration-free sound
- Well-designed for power efficiency
- Solid, durable, lightweight cast-aluminum build
- Emits less heat
- Offers excellent value for its price
- Remote knob for bass control allows you to easily control bass from the driver’s seat
- Not powerful enough to drive multiple 10” or 12” subs
- The built-in loc is potentially problematic
Our Verdict: Rockford Fosgate R500X1D finds it easy to get a rank among the best amplifiers. It is lightweight, space-efficient, and carries the trust of a reputable manufacturer.
With all its great attributes, this amp is undoubtedly a great bargain at its current price.
2. BOSS Audio Systems AR1500M
You are looking for that extra thump that stretches your high-quality subs to maximum potential. That’s what Boss Audio AR1500M class AB monoblock amp is here to provide. 1500W max power output at 2 Ohms into one channel should already give you an idea of this amp’s performance. Behold, below are more awe-striking features and benefits of the AR1500M.
Why you should consider Boss Audio AR1500M
- Improved efficiency and sound quality with Class A/B circuitry: Boss Audio’s Class A/B amplifiers use a unique linear circuitry. The design of this circuitry aims at increasing sound quality mainly by reducing distortion. In addition, the circuitry improves power efficiency. The MOSFETs used also enhance efficiency in sound output.
- Variable Input Control and Switchable Input Sensitivity: Achieve sound customization and optimum performance using the variable input control. Switchable input sensitivity enables you to control the input signal to achieve the desired balance between power and sound quality.
- 2 Ohm Stable and High and Low-Level Inputs: Nothing will stop you from getting more power and volume after you install this amplifier. 2-Ohm stability and the presence of high and low-level inputs means that you can add more processors and amps to your system. If you have already invested in great aftermarket speakers, allow them to give their best by powering them adequately.
- Slim design: Being a part of the Armor Series, the AR1500M Class A/B monoblock amp comes in a feature-rich sleek design. There are numerous locations in your where you can fit this space-efficient amp. Further, the installation process is a breeze with the installation manual delivered together.
- Automatic shut-off: Use this amp with an assurance of sufficient protection from damage due to overheating or electrical problems. The amp automatically shuts if there is a short due to speaker failure or when the amp gets too hot.
What to like
- Slim metal body that looks great
- It is bridgeable
- It drives subs with incredible power
- Its remote bass boost is a favorite feature among many users
- Favorable price
What you may not like
- The amp has overheating issues
- Not reliable for continuous high power applications
Our Verdict: This monoblock amp can push your car audio a notch higher if paired with the right speakers. Provided you don’t subject the amp to high-power use for long periods, you can be sure to enjoy your drives listening to clear and distortion-free music.
3. Kicker 43CXA6001 Mono Amplifier
Just about any high-quality monoblock amplifier can deliver strong bass. However, Kicker 43CXA6001 provides more than just strong bass. Kicker engineers paid close attention to noise and interference reduction when building this amp. Thus, this Class D monoblock leaves little to be desired in terms of sound output quality. Although it’s not among the most powerful among top-performing monoblocks, this Kicker masterpiece will impress you with other key features.
Features of Kicker 43CXA6001
- 600W @ 2 Ohms RMS power for your bass: This CEA-2006 compliant mono amp can send 600W max power to your subs. To get the best out of your sub/enclosure combination, utilize the variable low-pass filter. The filter makes up for the not-so-high power capability of the amplifier so that you get as much sound as you’d get from more powerful amps.
- KickEQ adds extra juice into your bass: This amp has a variable bass boost with KickEQ. This bass boost gives up to 12dB of the additional bump. With a simple turn of the remote bass controller, you can add some punch into your bass whenever you need it.
- Provides expansion capabilities: Kicker 43CXA6001 features full-range outputs designed to allow for further expansion of the audio system. Use these outputs when you want to add another bass amp or full-range amp. True music enthusiasts know there is always something to be improved for a more enjoyable listening experience.
- Reduced noise and distortion: Most of the noise that deteriorates an amp’s performance originates from the input point. Kicker has used its proprietary Fail-Safe Integration Technology (FIT) to avoid noise and interference at the input. Besides, the amp has a fixed subsonic filter that removes extremely low distorting resonances.
- Looks good when mounted anywhere: This amp comes with mounting hardware. You can hook it almost anywhere since it takes very little space. The mounting hardware will come in handy especially if you plan to install the amp vertically.
- Puts out enough power for thudding bass
- Very clean and smooth sound output
- The amp is small and fits just about anywhere
- Stays cool even when used for extended periods
- Conveniently placed audio control tools
- Amp may not be suitable for big (10” and above) subs
- It doesn’t have a fuse
Our Verdict: Kicker 43CXA6001 mono amplifier delivers big bass in a sleek, easy-to-install build. It has a 2-year warranty and a 60-day money-back guarantee.
If you have a keen ear for clean audio, you’ll probably consider this amplifier as your best choice.
4. RIOT 1100 Watts, Mosfet Monoblock Power Amplifier R1100M
If you are shopping for an efficient monoblock amplifier under $100, RIOT R1100M fits the bill.
This RIOT power amplifier is one of the most highly rated 1-channel amps under $100. With its high power capability and quality features, there’s no doubt this monoblock offers awesome value.
What makes RIOT R1100M unique?
- It’s among the most powerful monoblocks on the market: This amp rocks your tunes with up to 1100W at 2 Ohms or 550W at 4 Ohms. MOSFET power supply accounts for this exceptionally high power capability. This kind of power will bring the best performance out of any subwoofers.
- Very affordable price: RIOT series amplifiers make it possible for anyone to install a powerful amp in their cars. The incredibly affordable price of the R1100M mono amp makes it perfect for many first-time car audio buyers. Adding bass and enhancing sound performance to your audio system doesn’t have to be expensive with exceptional amps like RIOT R1100M.
- Tweak the sound the way you want: Feel the vibes in your favorite jams the way you like them. This amp provides you with an easy-to-reach variable low pass crossover and bass boost for optimum sound customization.
- Speaker-level inputs: Also called high-level inputs, these inputs allow you to connect your amp to a factory car radio or any aftermarket radio without low-level (RCA) inputs. The RIOT R1100M amp is a highly versatile mono amp that you can use with any car audio system.
What you will like
- Drives massive power to subs for production of strong bass
- Most affordable price compared to other amps in the selection
- Great sound customization features
- Slim and compact for installation convenience
- Automatic shut-off feature offers to prevent heat damage
- Illuminated BOSS Logo adds esthetic value to car’s interior
What you may not like
- A little distortion heard when the gain is set high
- Potential overheating problems
Our Verdict: There’s absolutely no reason to limit the performance of your subs while RIOT R1100M is available at such an affordable price.
5. Rockville dB14 4000 Watt/1000w
A quick look over the features of the dB14 mono amp tells you that the amp is down to some serious action. Packing up to 4000W peak power/2000W RMS, only a few amps can compare to this Class D monoblock. Besides, it uses superior circuitry for high efficiency in current usage and sound production.
Features of Rockville dB14
- Extremely powerful and 2-Ohm stable: Rockville places the dB14 at 1000W CEA-2006 rated power but it can inject more power into your subs – up to 4000W max power. And just like other mono amps in Rockville’s dB series, the dB14 is 2-Ohm stable.
- <1% distortion: The amp is rated at less than 1% distortion. The use of advanced technology explains this commendable sound performance, specifically the professional peak limiter circuitry that guarantees distortion-free music at all times. Further, the RCA input helps to reduce noise at the input level.
- Stringent testing: Rockville dB14 has passed stringent two-stage testing to ascertain the high quality and compliance with industry standards. During the first testing, the manufacturer does over 20 tests to assess different aspects. The second testing is done by a 3rd party independent and unaffiliated company. Rockville offers a 90-day money-back guarantee as a show of confidence in this product. You can rest assured that it will exceed your expectations.
- Audio control within easy reach: In addition to fixed sound enhancement features, this amp provides you with numerous sound control tools. A fully adjustable equalizer, phase control switch, and dashboard sub-control are conveniently placed to allow for effortless control over the system.
- Top-rank construction: The dB14 is popular among experienced sound enthusiasts for facilitating the delivery of high-quality sound. Rockville says it has used top-rank components to build this amp. That is why it is one of their best-sounding amps not only in the dB series but also across all top-performing monoblock amps on the market.
- High-speed and high-efficiency MOSFET power supply
- High RMS power ratings
- Less than 1% distortion CEA-2006 rating
- Superior construction
- Full IC-controlled protection circuitry prevents overvoltage damage
- Price a bit on the higher side
Our Verdict: The main selling points of the dB14 are efficient power delivery and clean sound production. This 2-Ohm stable amp will give new life to your audio system and significantly improve your in-car entertainment experience.
6. Planet Audio AC1500.1M
Are you searching for the best monoblock amplifier for your high-power 12” or 15” subs? Audio AC1500.1M is among the most powerful mono amps on the market. Besides, these amps can work with all factory or aftermarket radios whether or not the radios have RCA inputs.
Unique features of Planet Audio AC1500.1M
- Power capability: This Class A/B mono amp delivers to one channel up to 1500W peak power at 2 Ohms. Besides using MOSFET power supply which is known for high-efficiency current usage, the amp has bass boost controls that help to optimize the bass output of your car audio system.
- Deep, smooth, enhanced bass: Does low-quality bass irritate you? Planet Audio AC1500.1M removes all frustrations of low-quality bass. It has a low-pass filter that keeps high notes out of your subs. You will never again hear high notes interfering with your bass output.
- Sound customization: With the variable low pass crossover, remote subwoofer control, and bass boost, there is nothing to stop you from enjoying your music the way you desire. You will love the way these sound control tools help to easily achieve higher quality sound.
- Slim and compact design: 10” D x 10” W x 2.4” H measurements make for a slim amp that can fit in many different places. The sleek and lightweight design also makes the amp easy to install. In addition, the amp’s advanced class-AM design is compatible with most types of head units.
- It’s a powerful amplifier (1500W)
- Amp hits hard when paired with the right speakers
- The advanced class-AM system makes the amp more versatile
- Allows great subwoofer control from the comfort of the driver’s seat
- Protection against speaker short-circuiting and thermal overload
- It’s one of the cheapest monoblocks if you are looking for a mono amp below $100
- Potential bass knob problems
- RMS power is a bit exaggerated
Our Verdict: Planet Audio AC1500.1M is built to break the rules. It adds a crazy bump into your bass. Its incredibly lower price compared to other monoblocks means you can enjoy life like a sound anarchist.
7. Hifonics BRX2416.1D Brutus
The Brutus series of Hifonics amplifiers are popular among experienced car audio enthusiasts for their dedicated and efficient power use. Hifonics BRX2416.1D is a super powerful Class D amp that enables higher bass response. This amp provides top-of-the-line sound amplification thanks to its superior build.
Features of Hifonics BRX2416.1D
- Dedicated power: Rarely will you come across a monoblock that drives up to 2400w x one channel at 1 Ohm or 1600w x one channel at 2 Ohms. Be sure to experience ground vibrating bass when you install this Hifonics masterpiece.
- RCA outputs: Hifonics understands that you need to continually improve your sound system. The manufacturer has included RCA outputs that allow for chaining the BRX2416.1D with other amps. This monoblock is ideal for anyone looking to have earth-shattering bass from their car audio system.
- Ultra-Fi MOSFET outputs: This type of power supply is chosen for the amps in the Hifonics Brutus series. The outputs facilitate music production where high power efficiency, minimal distortion, and superb cooling are of key concern. That’s why your audio system operates at high power without traces of sound distortion.
- Super D-Class circuitry: Other amplifiers have class D circuitry but the BRX2416.1D has super Class-D. There is a world of difference between sound from normal class D amps and this Hifonics amp. The highly efficient super Class-D circuitry powers speakers for a higher bass response without compromising sound quality.
- Built to last: The BRX2416.1D is a long-term solution for your power amplification needs. Its 3-way protective circuitry prevents speaker shorts, power overload, and overheating. More to this, the amp’s structure features a heavy-duty aluminum alloy heat sink. With these qualities, the amp can push 15-inch drivers at 1 Ohm without overheating.
- Powerful speaker drive and superior sound quality
- The inclusion of RCA outputs makes it possible to add other amplifiers
- Amp has a range of built-in amp protection measures
- Unmatched build quality for efficiency and longevity
- Amp comes with a complete installation kit with wires and fuses
- On-board system diagnostics
- Installation can be challenging to inexperienced hands
- It’s one of the most highly-priced monoblocks
Our Verdict: Most Hifonics BRX2416.1D users like the amp’s great power capabilities and its attention to detail. All of the amp’s features are optimized for the ultimate sound quality and performance. Even its price is relatively higher, you get great value for your money.
8. Kenwood KAC-9106D 2000W Monoblock
You’ll not go wrong by choosing the KAC-9106D if you want to add great tonal impact and detail in your music’s bass. This rugged and tough monoblock hits 2-Ohm and 4-Ohm impedance with 1000W RMS and 500W RMS power output respectively.
Why you should purchase Kenwood KAC-9106D mono amp
- Above-average sonic features: Being one of the leading audio equipment manufacturers, the Kenwood brand represents nothing less of reliability. This is evident through the above-average features of the KAC-9106D, which include switching MOSFET power supply, speaker level output, variable low pass filter, and infrasonic filter. In addition, with the low pass, this amp can handle a frequency response range of 50Hz-200Hz. Further, the infrasonic filter digs as deep as 20Hz.
- High versatility: You can use this mono amp with any type of audio system thanks to the speaker-level inputs. Another interesting feature in this regard is the signal sensing turn-on. This aspect allows for easy operation of the amp during different applications. You can adjust the signal using the onboard low pass and subsonic filters to get the best audio possible.
- +18dB bass boost: We thought this feature deserves special mention. The amp’s bass boost allows you to fatten up the sound. Sitting comfortably at 40HZ, the +18dB bass boost showcases better performance than what most of the monoblock amplifiers from other manufacturers offer. Rest assured of significantly deeper and more detailed bass when you install the KAC-9106D.
- Durable and attractive build design: Even though Kenwood has used the most standard hardware to cut production costs, this hasn’t compromised the build quality of this amp. The amp’s sleekly designed black enclosure harbors an aluminum heat sink. More to this, a pretty cover panel with a big Kenwood logo and a red triangular LED make an attractive overall theme of the amp.
- Amp kicks lots of power to the subs
- Clean and clear sound delivery
- Highly effective bass boost
- Amp can be used with many car audio systems
- Easy sound control
- Attractive build design
- Bass isn’t that great when amp powers the biggest subs
Our Verdict: A versatile, powerful, dedicated amplifier is what Kenwood KAC-9106D is. Choosing this amp offers a number of unique advantages for experienced fans of loud car audio.
9. Skar Audio RP-2000.1D
By far, reliability is the key reason why this amplifier is one of the best monoblock amplifiers for audio systems that use big subs. It is ideal for powering two 1000W RMS-rated subs or one bigger sub-rated at 2000W RMS power handling. The amp peaks at 2800W and has a frequency response of 20Hz – 250Hz.
Unique benefits of Skar Audio RP-2000.1D
- High-speed Class D MOSFET: The superiority of this amp among other class D mono amps is due to the high-speed MOSFET power supply. When this high-class power supply is combined with an advanced PCB board layout, the RP-2000.1D wins over many amps in terms of power and reliability.
- High power output: A rating of 2000W RMS power output at 1 Ohm tells it all. Couple this amp with the right subs and achieve incredible improvements in sound output. As a matter of fact, Skar Audio claims that the amps can reach 2500 watts of peak power output.
- 4-WAY circuitry: Most amps have 3-way circuitry, but the RP-2000.1D is not your average amp when it comes to protection for your system. The 4-way circuitry prevents damage to the amp due to electrical shortage, low voltage, overvoltage, and overheating. Besides, the build quality is designed with overheating protection. Thus, the amp makes the best out of the power it gets.
- Intuitive control panel: Take full reign over your amplifier. It comes with an inbuilt user control panel that features a bass EQ switch (0, +6, +12dB) and variable adjustment tunings. In addition, you get a remote bass knob that allows you to maintain full control over the bass from the driver’s seat.
- The amp is a robust performer that is efficient and reliable
- High RMS power (2000w)
- Produces detailed sound without distortion
- 4-way circuitry protection gives you great peace of mind
- Durable build
- Amp overheats when switched to 2-Ohm operation
- Difficult to operate in protection mode
Our Verdict: The engineering of the RP-2000.1D is meant to domineer over class D monoblocks. With excellent efficiency, quality, and protection on the table, what more could you ask from an amplifier?
This amp gives you great value for your money.
10. Audiopipe APMI-2000
Audiopipe is a loud player. As long as you pair it with a good subwoofer, there’s no doubt about achieving some serious air displacement even at the bottom of the frequency range. All the bass you need is well within your reach using the conveniently placed bass knob. Besides, the amp has trustworthy thermal protection features that help it to run cool.
Features of the Audiopipe AMPI-2000
- Digs deeper with great power: The APMI-2000 flexes its power amplification muscle to 2000W RMS at 1 Ohm. More interesting is the fact that its frequency range starts at 8Hz and ends at 180Hz. No other amp in our selection achieves deeper bass than this Audiopipe winner.
- Mini design: The massive power of this amp comes from a pretty decent mini design. What this implies is that you can fit the amp in the smallest spaces. Many reviewers have stated that it easily into the boot.
- Superior heat dissipation: Don’t be tricked into thinking that this small amp has some limitations when it comes to handling excess heat. Audiopipe has fitted large heat syncs running on either side of the amp. These heat syncs continually dissipate heated produced when the amp is in operation.
- Built-in crossover: You are looking at a low pass filter (40 Hz – 180 Hz) and a subsonic filter (5 Hz – 50 Hz). The APMI-2000 is easily bridged and has an efficient remote bass level control. Further, it boasts a decent S/N ratio (more than 70dB). All these sound control tools are located at the back panel.
- Small but powerful amp
- It’s a hard hitter; delivers very deep clean and clear sound
- Operates well under high power without overheating
- Space-saving design makes it easy to install in small spaces
- Excellent audio control features
- Bass boost is occasionally inaccurate
- Lacks robust overcurrent and electrical shorting protection
Our Verdict: Audiopipe APMI-2000 upholds the high reputation of Audiopipe. The amplifier is among the most powerful monoblocks on the market. Its mini design is a considerable distinguishing factor especially for individuals intending to install the amp in a way that it doesn’t obstruct the use of the boot.
Factors to Consider When Looking for the Best Monoblock Amplifier
Do you think you did a good job choosing your subwoofer(s)?
If yes, there is one more thing you need to do to ensure that you get the best sound out of your car audio system. You need an amp that can power your great subs. While this is not an easy endeavor bearing in mind the big number of amps on the market, knowing what key features to look for in a monoblock can save you a lot of time and struggle when choosing the best amp for your subs.
1. The risk of getting an amp that’s not appropriate for your speakers
Have you ever wondered: why is it important to pair car speakers with the right amplifier?
It’s all about the implications of power exchanges between the amplifier and speakers. If the speaker load is too low, the amplifier will deliver too much power that could result in frustrating sound distortions. Pairing your speakers with the wrong amp also means frequent instances of overheating and consequent system shutdown.
On the other hand, failing to provide your speakers with enough power (underpowering) can damage components of your audio system.
2. Understanding classes of monoblock amplifiers
Amplifier classes – such as A/B and D describe the operation of electric circuits inside the amps. Your sound preferences determine the class you choose.
Class D mono amps are considerably less power-intensive and have lesser internal components than class A/B amps. Also, they are relatively cheaper.
In contrast, class A/B mono amps are more power-hungry. Many users claim that this class of monoblocks produces sound with less noise and distortion.
3. Power handling and impedance ratings
It is vital that the amplifier and speakers match in terms of power handling and impedance ratings. Manufacturers indicate the electrical aspects of their product, such as RMS power output and the electrical impedance (measured in Ohms) of the speaker’s voice coil. Since specific monoblocks can drive particular Ohm loads, make sure that the amp you choose has an impedance rating that matches that of your speakers.
What do multiple impedance ratings mean?
You have probably come across speakers with multiple impedance ratings. Similarly, some amps have ports with different impedances, say 2-Ohm and 4-Ohm. Note carefully that this apparent adaptability doesn’t automatically mean that the amplifier will work equally well with any system. Investigate your choices carefully. Amps with different speaker impedances have specific power ratings for each port.
What about multiple power ratings?
Equally important to understand is your speaker’s power ratings. RMS rating is more useful than peak power when comparing amps. An amp rated at 2000W peak power output may come across as a very powerful amp. However, it’s critical to know that such a power rating implies the highest power value that the amp can drive a sound wave up and down.
Obviously, the amplifier cannot sustain this level of power output for lengthy periods without getting too hot.
The RMS power rating is a more reliable evaluation measure for power handling. It describes the average power that the amp can sustainably output over time.
4. Compatibility with your car’s audio components
To get the best out of your amp, and avoid operational issues, an investigation of your car’s model is vital before you start wiring things up. However much you love your car model, whether it’s a vintage or SUV model, the truth is that it might not be compatible with some audio components.
Particularly, investigate battery-related problems that other people who drive your car model encounter. This knowledge will help you to determine if you need to add an extra battery or make some modifications to secure your new amplifier.
5. Useful functional extras
There are additional features on some amps that make your amp ownership and use more enjoyable. For instance, many people prefer amps with remote sub controls to those with a built-in equalizer only for obvious reasons. With a remote subwoofer controller, you can turn up the bass level from the front of the vehicle to gain more customized sound output.
Other useful extra features include an analog RCA, safety shutoffs, and subsonic filters. These features enhance the audio functionality as well as the self-protection ability of the amplifier.
Our overall best monoblock amplifier is Rockford Fosgate R500X1D
This class D CEA-2006 compliant power amplifier delivers awesome power to your subs. The R500X1D’s CEA-complaint 500W power rating means that the amp has been accurately rated and will deliver exactly that power. It uses power-efficient Class D circuitry. Therefore, you will have fewer battery or charging problems to worry about.
In addition, the amp gives you a great deal of control over sound output. Particularly, an onboard punch bass boost enables you to turn up the bass for more enjoyable, heavily kicking lows. The other winning aspect of this monoblock amp is its heat, overvoltage, and short protection features. Feel free to turn the bass all the way up knowing that the amp can handle the task without any thermal or electrical issue.
Your subs will never again produce mediocre sound after you power them with the best monoblock amplifier. Let the award-winning Rockford Fosgate R500X1D class D monoblock amplifier take your audio system to the next level.
Featured image credit: Free-Photos, Pixabay