As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
There’s nothing as great as having quality music in your marine vessel. However, it’s not easy to get quality music in a boat. Maybe you already have quality speakers and subwoofers in your boat but the quality of sound and volume are still low. What could be the problem? Well, you’ll need to add a marine amplifier to your boat music system. An amplifier works by increasing the overall amplitude of audio signals. This way, you’re able to boost audio signals without compromising on their quality. But how would you know the best marine amplifier for your marine vessel? Considering the different types of marine amps available in the market, making the best choice becomes quite challenging. However, we have made your selection process easier by reviewing the best marine amps you can ever find on the amp market today. Read on through this article for a detailed marine amps review.
Table of Contents
Comparison Table of Top 5 Best Marine Amplifiers
|Product||RMS Power||Peak Power||Our Rating||Price|
|Kenwood 1177524 [Overall best]||45 Watts at 4 ohms||400 Watts|
|Pyle Hydra PLMRA420||35 Watts at 4 ohms50 Watts at 2 ohms||1000 Watts|
|BOSS Audio MC900B [Budget Friendly]||94 Watts at 4 ohms||500 Watts|
|Rockford Fosgate TM400X4AD||100 Watts at 4 ohms||400 Watts|
|Clarion XC2410||75 Watts at 2 ohms50 Watts at 4 ohms||400Watts|
How We Wrote This ReviewIt’s never easy to choose an amp for your boat or any other marine vessel. We acknowledge this challenge, that’s why we have prepared this review. We started by gathering research from existing studies and reports on the top amplifier brands. This enabled us to know the must features that a marine amp should have. In addition, we analyzed the experience of real users on the amps they perceive best for the ever harsh marine environment. We also gathered detailed information from product experts. The information we gathered enabled us to narrow down the list we had and only reviewed the very best amps. The importance of this research review is to make it easier for you to get the best deal for you’ll only choose from the best options. These options reviewed here include everything that marine amps should have. Therefore, you’ll not have to look any further.
1. Kenwood 1177524 Overall Best Marine AmpThe Kenwood 1177524 amplifier offers great value for your money. It stands out in that it comes with advanced Bluetooth functionality. You can easily connect Bluetooth capable devices effortlessly to the amp. This way, you can carry your mobile device music to your boat and connect wirelessly.
Features and Benefits of Kenwood 1177524
- Wireless controls: The amplifier comes with a wireless remote control for adjusting the volume and changing music tracks. The remote control makes it easy to control the amplifier from anywhere around your boat within the suitable radius.
- Compact design: This amp has a compact design unlike some of its competitors that appear bulky. Its compact design makes it possible to fit even in the smallest spaces in your boat while still making it easier to conceal.
- Class D amplifier: The Kenwood 1177524 is categorized as a Class D marine amplifier, and this comes with many benefits. For instance, it minimizes power wasted as heat and has higher conversion of amplifier power.
- checkBluetooth technology: This amp is one of the few marine amps that boasts of having Bluetooth capability. Its Bluetooth functionality allows a user to connect their Bluetooth capable portable devices such as smartphones and music players to their boat.
- checkFour channels: You will be amazed to find out that this amplifier comes with 4 channels. This means that you will be able to connect more speakers, including a subwoofer for enhanced audio and bass.
- Bluetooth functionality
- Compactand small size
- Waterresistant controls
- checkMedium price range
- checkEasymounting and concealment
- May not have enough power to power larger speakers
- Bluetooth functionality may not be ideal for some dry environments
- Exclamation CircleLacks treble adjustment
2. Pyle Hydra PLMRA420The Pyle Hydra PLMRA420 is designed as a bridgeable amp. It has 4 channels that can be bridged into 2 dedicated channels. Bridging the amp channels makes it possible to increase its overall power output. You can bridge its channels to power a more powerful marine subwoofer for enhanced bass.
Features and Benefits of Pyle Hydra PLMRA420
- Powerful outputs: The amp is designed to give a peak power of up to 1000 watts and RMS rating of 35 Watts at 4 ohms or 50 Watts at 2 ohms. This means that the amplifier can power larger speakers and uses dual MOFSET powering mechanism.
- Gain level controls: The amp stands out for having responsive controls for gain level. You can easily use these controls to maintain the most suitable amplitude at the output even if the input amplitude has some variation.
- Protection against short circuit: Another feature that stands out in this amplifier is its aluminum alloy based heat sink and short circuit protection. They work by preventing the electric system of your boat from shorting the amp.
- checkLow and high-pass filters: It’s worth noting that this amplifier comes with low and high pass filters. The filters keep off unwanted frequencies in a sound signal, thereby ensuring the output signal is free from distortion, thus enhancing the quality of sound.
- checkGold plated terminals: All the connection terminals of this amplifier are plated with gold. Gold plating protects the terminals from corrosion, thereby allowing making it more likely to use the amp for more years.
- Short circuit protection
- High power output
- Water proof
- checkMedium price range
- checkBridgeable channels
- Lacks Bluetooth functionality
- Requiresset up in a well-ventilated area
- Exclamation CircleLacks a wireless remote control
3. This amplifier stands out from others in that it comes with a remote control. This makes it easy to control the amp wirelessly such that you can control it while in its concealed location. The wireless control uses Bluetooth technology such that you don’t have to point the control directly to the amp.
BOSS Audio MC900B Best Budget
BOSS Audio MC900B Features and Benefits
- USB port: A major feature that comes with the Boss Audio MC900B is its USB port. You can use the USB port to charge your mobile devices such as a smartphone or music player, thereby eliminating the need to use a separate charger.
- Soft touch control buttons: One feature you’ll truly appreciate in this amplifier is its soft touch control buttons. The buttons are very responsive to touch, thus you’ll never struggle to make any controls as they respond easily.
- Auto re-connect functionality: Any already paired Bluetooth devices auto re-connect whenever they’re in range to this amplifier. This means that you’ll never have to pair a device all over again to connect it via Bluetooth since it will regain connectivity automatically.
- checkRCA support: This marine amp comes with support for 3.55mm to RCA. Therefore, you can easily connect the amplifier with any device that has a 3.55mm output.
- checkSurface mount: The Rockford Fosgate TM400X4AD is designed as a surface mount amplifier. This means that you can mount it almost on any surface on your marine vessel, such that you’ll not be limited on where to mount it regardless of space.
- Fully weatherproof
- Wireless control
- Very affordable
- checkSupport for USB charging
- checkBluetooth functionality
- May heat when not mounted in a well-ventilated area
- May only pair one Bluetooth device at a time
- Exclamation CircleLacks output controls
4. Rockford Fosgate TM400X4ADThe Rockford Fosgate TM400X4ADis one of the best marine amplifiers. It stands out in that its controls are mounted on the top of the amp. Therefore, these controls make it easier to access the amp’s crossover for more functionalities. The controls support most of the functionalities that an amplifier should have.
Features and Benefits of Rockford Fosgate TM400X4AD
- Dual fans: One of the most outstanding features of the Rockford Fosgate TM400X4AD is its dual fans. The fans cool off the amplifier as it continues powering your marine speakers and subwoofers, thereby making it usable for prolonged periods without overheating.
- Dual heat sinks: You’ll also appreciate the dual heat sinks built in this amplifier. They allow for more heat dissipation from the circuit board, thereby preventing the issue of overheating when used for longer periods.
- LED clip detection: Rockford Fosgate TM400X4AD comes with LEDs for clip detection. This enables a user to stay alerted whenever the amplifier produces a wider wave than the supplied voltage to avoid damaging the speakers.
- checkWeather proof: The amplifier is specially designed for the tough sea environment. It’s weather proof such that it does not allow moisture to seep into the interior components.
- checkHigh efficiency: The class-ad technologies behind this amplifier makes it one of the most efficient amps out there. It offers superb performance at all times regardless of the environment.
- Dual fans
- Dual heat sinks
- Controls are top mounted
- checkCompact design
- checkSupport for RCA inputs
- Higher price range
- Lacks Bluetooth support
- Exclamation CircleNo wireless controls
5. Clarion XC2410The Clarion XC2410features unmatched resistance to interference from external noise. Therefore, it’s able to reduce distortion such that it delivers quality signals to the speakers or subwoofer. Despite its top-notch quality, its affordability is something that cannot go unnoticed.
Features and Benefits of Clarion XC2410
- Corrosion resistance connectors: The connectors that come with the amplifier are nickel plated to resist corrosion. They’re ideal for the moisture-filled and salty sea environment.
- MOS-FET based power supply: The power supply of the Clarion XC2410 is based on MOS-FET technology. This technology enables the amplifier to yield more power despite its small size design.
- High quality circuit board design: This amplifier comes with a circuit system designed to resist magnetic noise. This way, it’s able to reduce distortion of signals, thereby delivering high quality signals.
- checkCoated circuit board: The Clarion XC2410 boasts of having a coated circuit board. The coating protects the amplifier from water damage.
- checkPulse width modulation: This amplifier is notable for its pulse width modulation capability. This technology allows for enhanced power output despite the small size of the amplifier.
- Highly affordable
- Coated circuit board
- Nickel plated inputs
- checkRCA inputs
- checkPigtail connections
- No Bluetooth support
- Exclamation CircleLacks remote control
- Lacks short circuit protection