If you’re wondering how to turn on your Roku TV without a remote, you need to use the power button located directly on the TV. The good news is that every Roku TV comes equipped with a manual power control button. You just have to find it! With this in mind, how can you turn on a Roku TV without the remote?
Table of Contents
- When You’ve Lost the Remote Again: How to Turn On Your Roku TV
When You’ve Lost the Remote Again: How to Turn On Your Roku TV
You can turn on your Roku TV with the manual power button. The main places to look for your Roku TV’s power button are:
- Middle, underside
- Back of TV, right hand side
- Back of TV, left hand side
- Front left, underside
If you still can’t locate your TV’s power button, try finding the manual for your television online. It should have a diagram of all your TV’s buttons and their locations. Finally, if you can’t find the power button, you can try using the Roku App or a cable/satellite remote. In this guide, we will explore all the different ways in which you can turn on your Roku TV without the remote. Read on to find out more.
How to Turn on ROKU TV Without Remote: A Complete Walkthrough
Every Roku player comes with its own remote control. But, unlike most of the other remotes you’ve ever used, Roku remotes use WiFi to connect to their players. That means if you lose your remote or it stops working, you can’t watch your shows. Luckily, there is a workaround to this that lets you control your Roku device with your smartphone. Here’s how to use your Roku device without a remote control, even if you are on a new WiFi network.
If you’ve lost your Roku remote, you’re going to need to turn the TV on using the power button located on the TV itself. Ultimately the exact location of the power button on your TV will depend on the year, model and make. Here are the four main spots to check.
Note: All directions below assume you are facing the front of the TV.
The most common location for your Roku TV power button is right underneath the center of the TV. If you couldn’t find it, don’t feel bad, it’s an incredibly hidden spot and many people don’t even know it’s there.
Depending on which model you have, the actual power button may be positioned slightly forward on the underside, or further back, but regardless that’s where you’ll find it.
Just reach underneath and feel around until you locate it.
If you searched and you searched and you simply could not find the power button on your Roku TV, I’d be willing to bet it’s on the back right hand side of the television.
Another tricky, somewhat poorly placed power button by Roku.
Move the TV slightly away from the wall and take a look on the back, right side of your TV. You should spot a small power button there.
If you don’t see it, it might be worth grabbing a flashlight. If there is nothing on the back right side, go ahead and check the back left side for good measure.
If you didn’t find the power button on the back, right hand side of your Roku, it’s time to check the back left hand side of the television.
Once again, move the TV slightly away from the wall and take a look, this time on the back, left side of your TV. You should spot a small power button there.
If you own a Sanyo Roku TV, definitely check this spot!
This power button placement is especially terrible! It’s as if Roku was playing a game of hide and seek.
Feel along the front left, underside of your Roku TV and you should come across the receiver (this is what your remote interacts with).
Just behind that receiver is a very small power button. It’s easy to miss. Simply press around here until you see the TV turning on and off.
If you’re still having trouble finding your Roku TV’s power button after following my instructions above, you can try to track down the user manual for your exact model number and year.
You should be able to get the exact model number from the back of your TV. Type it into Google along with the brand, followed by “user manual”.
If for whatever reason, you can’t seem to find the power button on your TV, you can use the free Roku App to turn on your television!
Simply type “Roku” into the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store, and download the Roku app to your smartphone or tablet.
Once it’s downloaded you’ll immediately be prompted to search for nearby Roku devices. Your Roku TV should automatically appear in the list. Go ahead and select it to connect.
Once your Roku TV is connected within the Roku app, you can use your phone as a remote and power on your TV.
Just press the red power button.
Power on TCL Roku TV via Infrared
TV remotes make use of the infrared sensor to communicate with the tv. There have been a lot of Android devices that come with a built-in infrared sensor. With the right app, you can then control your TV right away.
Straight from powering it up to using almost all the other functions. A popular app that makes use of the infrared sensor on your phone (If your phone has the sensor) is the Mi Remote app. The app supports a ton of devices from a variety of brands. Mi Remote is free to download from the Google Play Store.
Use Alexa Commands to Turn on TCL Roku TV
If you cannot find the remote for your TCL Roku TV, there is another way that you can follow to control your Tv. This can be done by using Amazon Alexa, Amazon’s voice assistant. This can be achieved by making use of the Roku Skill for Alexa. However, this skill will work in the following countries:
- Latin America (does not include Brazil)
- United Kingdom
- United States
To be able to use this method you need the following things:
- TCL Roku TV
- Roku Account (obviously)
- Alexa enabled smart speaker or device
- Alexa Mobile app
Now, you need to follow these steps that have been mentioned below in order to get this functionality working:
- First off, download the Alexa app on your Android or iOS device.
- Now, launch the app and tap on the three horizontal line menus at the top.
- Tap on the Skills and Games option.
- You will see a search bar here. Type Roku in it.
- Make sure to tap on Launch. This will enable the Roku Skill for your Alexa.
- You will now be asked to sign in with a Roku account.
- Ensure that you sign in with the same Roku account that has been used with your TCL Roku TV.
- A list of all your Roku devices will be displayed. Simply select the Roku devices that you want to use with Alexa.
- Your Alexa app will now begin to search for Roku devices that are nearby. For best results, it is advisable to have the TCL Roku TV switched On.
- Tap on the TCL Roku TV on the Alexa app and select Continue.
- From here you will be asked to select your Alexa-enabled speaker or device.
- Finally, tap on Link Device. You can now command your Alexa device to control your TCL Roku TV.
Alexa Roku Commands (in case your need them):
- Turn on Roku TV
- Turn off Roku TV
- Raise the Roku TV Volume
- Change the channel on Roku TV
Use the PS4 to turn on TCL Roku TV
- You can make use of your PS4 to turn the TCL Roku TV on. It’s quite simple and easy to do.
- Connect your PS4 to the TCL Roku TV via the HDMI input.
- Use the power button on the TV to turn it on.
- On your PS4, open up Settings and then select System Settings.
- Scroll over to Enable HDMI Device Link and select the checkbox.
- Now, turn your PS4 and the TCL Roku TV off.
- With both the devices off, turn the PS4 on.
- When the PS4 turns on, your TCL Roku TV will also switch itself on.
Use the Nintendo Switch to turn on TCL Roku TV
To use this method of turning the TCL Roku TV on you will need to have a Nintendo Dock.
- Plugin your Nintendo Switch to the Dock and make sure the dock has been connected to your TVs display port.
- Power the TV on with the help of the button at the bottom of the TV.
- On your Nintendo Switch, select the System Settings option
- Now select TV settings.
- Scroll down on the right side and select Match Power State.
- With the Power State option selected, turn your TV as well as the Switch off.
- Turn the Switch on your TCL Roku TV should automatically turn on as well
- And there you have it, different ways to turn your TCL Roku TV on without the need of a remote
TCL offers US buyers a range of televisions in sizes from 32 inches, and a choice of two operating systems: Roku TV and Google TV.
The 2021 R635 is one of the company’s most popular US models, so it’s a great place to start your search. It supports Dolby Vision HDR (but not HDR10+) and enhances its QLED panel with Mini-LED backlighting for greater contrast and color reproduction.
This model also delivers a THX Certified Game Mode, which allows it to compete with some of the best gaming TVs. Built-in Roku TV delivers access to a wealth of streaming platforms, including Netflix, Prime Video, HBO Max, Peacock, Hulu, Disney+, YouTube, Apple TV +, Vudu, Google Play Movies & TV, Sling TV, FuboTV, ESPN+, Paramount +, Spotify and more.