As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
For many individuals, the pursuit of perfect sound quality in their car is a never-ending quest. DSPs or Digital Signal Processing improves the audio in your car’s stereo and boosts not just playing music, but also helps with voice-recognition and answering calls in your vehicle coherently and effectively.
Table of Contents
|1. AudioControl LC7i || ||Check Price|
|2. Taramp’s Pro 2.6 Digital Audio processor || ||Check Price|
|3. Stetsome STX 2448 || ||Check Price|
|4. Sony XM-GS6DSP || ||Check Price|
|5. Dayton’s DSP-408 Signal Processor || ||Check Price|
|6. Rockford Fosgate DSR1 || ||Check Price|
|7. Hertz H8 DSP Processor || ||Check Price|
You’re probably looking at all the many, many choices of DSPs for your car, trying to research all those features, prices, a list of pros and cons, where to buy your DSP from, and even if they’re available in your location.
Look no more because we’ve compiled a list of some of the best DSP for car audio right here.
In this article, we’ve compiled a list of the seven best DSP to buy in 2020:
Our Best DSP for Car Audios Reviews and Comparisons
1. AudioControl LC7i
Designed to cater to all music lovers in mind, the AudioControl LC7i provides a great in-car audio experience. It was first launched back in May 2016 and subsequently, is considered a great DSP to buy in 2020. It allows car owners to retain their factory installed source unit and subsequently increases the system’s performance by leaps and bounds.
The LC7i incorporates AccuBASS ®, a patented process that automatically targets and corrects any issues involved with bass quality. AudioControl’s unique circuitry restores the bass and allows for flexibility when powering signals downstream to single or multiple factory amps.
Additionally, the LC7i also fits compactly into the chassis, enabling easy upgrades to the factory-installed audio system.
- Optional ACR- 1 remote that allows the user complete control of the subwoofer level
- Six channels of active speaker level inputs that accept up to 400 watts per channel
- GTO™ (Great Turn-On) Circuit that powers up the LC7i when it detects a signal on the speaker level input
- Output level control
- Internal channel summing that allows interfacing with factory-installed amplifiers with built-in crossovers
7.5”W x 4.7”D x 1.2”H
Weight : 1.5 lbs (0.7 kg)
What’s in the Box:
- Speaker and power connectors
- Warranty: 5-year warranty
What We Like About AudioControl LC7i
AccuBASS™ is a patented feature that is incorporated in AudioControl LC7i that restores bass frequencies on a factory system that rolls off the bass as you increase volume.
There are two AccuBASS settings:
1. AccuBASS Threshold that determines when AccuBASS turns on
2. AccuBASS level that adjusts how much bass can be restored.
There also exists a status LED light that lights up when AccuBASS is active.
To initially set up the AccuBASS, set the Threshold all the way to the left and then the Level knob at the 12 o’clock position. Then, start playing music that has a lot of bass, slowly turning up the head unit volume until you hear the bass dropping.
Now, slowly turn up the Threshold dial clockwise until the status LED illuminates and you can hear the bass being restored. Now that you’ve set the Threshold, you can adjust the AccuBASS Level knob to your preference.
It really is that simple and you can now listen to uninterrupted, high-quality music with spectacular bass, exactly how you like it.
- Easy setup
- Fits well into compact chassis
- Comes with wireless features
- Best restoration feature
- Operates from the low end on the subwoofer
- Is not compatible with all models of factory systems, so the customer must check beforehand.
2. Taramp’s Pro 2.6 Digital Audio processor
The Pro 2.6S is a powerful and modern processor with DSP, that is dedicated to boost your car’s audio and optimize its performance. Considered to be one of the best DSP for car audio in 2020, the Pro 2.6S, through an LCD display and an intuitive interface, allows for real-time audio adjustments with relative ease at the touch of a button.
With two independent inputs, 6 outputs, routing capabilities, phase inversion, alignment delay, parametric output equalizer, scatter function, sine wave generator various types of crossover filters, and an adjustable limiter, the Pro 2.6S incorporates high powered audio technology to give you the best processor for your car, all at a reasonable price.
- LCD display
- Intuitive interface
- Parametric 3-band EQ
- Handy scroll button
- Integrated high and low pass
Let’s get technical:
- Frequency response: 10Hz- 20Hz
- Input impedance
- Output impedance: 47 Ohm
- Power supply voltage: 9 ~ 16VDC
- Delay: 5.7mS (76.378 inches~ 194cm)
- Central Frequency: 20Hz ~ 20KHz
- Attenuation – Gain: -12dB ~ +12dB
- Q Factor: 0.4 ~ 10
- Threshold: 24 ~ 0dB
- Attack: 1ms ~ 900ms
- Release: 1ms ~ 4000ms
- 8.267 x 1.692 x 4.803 inches (210 x 43 x 122 mm)
- Weight : 1.212 lbs (0.550kg)
What We Like About Taramp’s Pro 2.6 Digital Audio processor
The Pro 2.6S is relatively lightweight, when compared to other audio processors in the market, and weighs just 1.212 pounds, or half a kilo (550gms to be precise). The device is of a sturdy and compact design and will fit into most of the space constraints that vehicles might pose.
While the company recommends you get it installed professionally, it is pretty easy to install. The device comes with instructions that should be able to guide you through the entire process.
This processor comes with an adjustable limiter. The scroll button enables simultaneous adjustments and has integrated a 3-band parametric EQ that is fully adjustable for each of the 6 output channels.
- Real-time audio adjustment
- It has a compact design that is not heavy
- Accurate sound production
- Scroll button for simultaneous adjustments
- Requires a noise filter, particularly around the center channel components.
- It is not compatible with Bluetooth
3. Stetsome STX 2448
STETSOME’s STX 2448 is an automotive digital audio processor that is capable of bringing innovation and technology to your audio system. Designed and manufactured to combine high-quality audio and powerful performance that really ups the ante, the STX 2448 is built to take on the job of enhancing your audio system.
The STX 2448 features integrated and fixed functions that include bass and treble controls. Unlike many of the audio processors currently in the market, the STX 2448 only features four channels.
This audio processor is relatively light in weight and easy to install. There are also customizable adjustments, and multiple frequencies that allow you to control the high and low filter pass accordingly for accurate and precise sound production.
- A 32-bit digital audio processor
- Two audio inputs A and B
- Four independent outputs that enable the selection of audio sources (A, B or A+B).
- Customizable sound adjustments
- A variety of built-in processing functions
The technical aspects:
- Latency 10Hz~22.5 KHz @ 1dB
- Maximum input voltage: >80dB
- Maximum output voltage: 4,5 Vpp (+6,3 dBu)
- Supply voltage: 10V~ 15V CC
- 37mm x 200mm x 101mm
- Weight : 0.455 kg or 455 gms
What We Like About Stetsome STX 2448
The LCD display enables a clean, unfettered, and intuitive interface, and allows for audio adjustments in real-time. It also features a marquee as well as text display, and a language selection option.
The crossover function allows precise definition of cut frequencies, attenuation rates, and topology of high-pass and low-pass filters with Linkwitz-Riley and Butterworth filters (12/18/24/36/48 dB / 8 °).
It has an equalization system with a graphic equalizer, 15 bands of manual adjustments and presets – Flat, bass, boost, mild bass, treble boost, hip hop, pop, vocal, and Pancadao to name a few. It also has 5 parametric equalizers with gain control, specific frequency setting, and equalizer bandwidth that allows for fine adjustments and detailed equalization control.
The STX 2448 also has management functions, saves and loads the setting in the memory, is protected by password security that blocks the modifications of parameters.
- Customizable sound adjustments
- Numerous built-in processing functions
- A high-quality 32-bit digital audio processor
- Compact and lightweight
- Extremely budget-friendly
- Does not support Bluetooth
- Only has four channels
4. Sony XM-GS6DSP
Sony’s XM-GS6DSP is a little different from some of the other audio processors out there. With features like Bluetooth audio streaming, digital signal processing, and a three-way electronic crossover, this model is as flexible in functions as it is sturdy in the physique. It is an audio enthusiast’s loud and non-grainy dream.
- 8” line input harness, 7” high-level input harness
- 6 Channel amplifier
- Class D Amp technology
- Digital signal processing control via Sony Music Center app on your Bluetooth device
- Bluetooth streaming
- 11-5/8″W x 2-3/16″H x 7-7/8″D
What’s in the box:
- 1 x Amplifier
- 8″ Line input harness
- 7″ High-level input harness
- 5″ Tweeter/Front/Mid/Rear output harness
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Card
What We Like About Sony XM-GS6DSP
Digital Audio Features
You can use the Sony Music Center and Advanced Car Audio Setting app on your Android or IOS smartphone or tablet to get access to more configurations settings, which includes a graphic equalizer, 4.1-channel signal delay configuration and adjustment for balance, subwoofer, fader levels, and also a master volume control when streaming from your smartphone.
The Music Center app also allows streaming music stored on your phone or from select apps like YouTube or Google.
Front, Rear and Subwoofer System
You can use the amp to power the front and rear speakers and subwoofer by defeating the Front/Tweeter high-pass crossover. The internal DSP can be bypassed by setting the input selector switch to the six-channel mode. You can then feed whatever signals you want into the amp’s output.
Connection and Control and Cross-over
You’ll find all the connections on one side of the amp, with the tuning controls recessed under the aluminum cover. This allows for easy, simple, and neat wiring that will remain unmoved.
A variable bass boost allows the addition of a low-end punch to the sound when required. Separate controls for the front, rear and subwoofer channels are also laid out on the control panel. The amplifier features a large CPU from Renesas Electronics Corp, and an ARM Cortex A9 core, and has a pair of power supplies. One is for the main channels and one is dedicated to the subwoofer channels.
What We Don’t Like About Sony XM-GS6DSP
A little on the boxy end of the spectrum and weighing in at 5 pounds 12 ounces, this device is a little on the heavier side. But its sturdy aluminum case is designed for durability.
- Customization at your fingertips
- Has Class-D amplifying capabilities
- The device controlling available via smartphone using Sony Music Center App
- Comes with a three-year warranty
5. Dayton’s DSP-408 Signal Processor
Designed for not just your car, Dayton’s DSP-408 is just as easily a great choice to amp up the music at home if you’re throwing a party. You can control your sound system using this audio DSP, which, like Taramp’s Pro 2.6 Digital Audio processor, delivers real-time signal processing to assure the ultimate control.
Feature-rich, budget-friendly and versatile, it also has an optional Bluetooth dongle, which allows streaming and enables app control.
- Time alignment feature
- Built-in EQs
- Can be controlled and configured from smartphone, tablet or PC
Let take a look under the hood:
- 4 input and 8 output processor
- 10-band parametric equalizer per channel
- High and low shelf EQ per channel
- Variable crossovers: high/low/band-pass slopes 0 to 24 dB, Linkwitz Riley/Butterworth/Bessel
- Time delay: 0 to 277 cm or 8.1471 ms adjustable in 1 cm steps
- Input/output mixing to customize the signal path
- Customizable name/ID for each of the six presets
- Load, save, recall, or delete preset files
Technical specifications include :
- Reverse voltage protection
- Mute circuit and delay
- High-level input impedance: 180 Ω
- Input impedance: ≥20 kΩ
- Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Output impedance: <50 Ω
What We Like About Dayton’s DSP-408 Signal Processor
One of the best features about the DSP-408, as specified earlier, is the ability to use it both at home and in your vehicle. This device can be accessed from multiple devices like your smartphone, tablet, and your PC at home. It also has a specialized remote control that is available.
This digital signal processor car audio comes with a 4-input and an 8-output. It has an integrated 10-band parametric EQ that is fully adjustable for each of the output channels.
The EQ band automatically narrows down on wherever the music appears to be problematic and will increase bass response while simultaneously eliminating frequency response peaks.
- Optional Bluetooth Dongle
- User-friendly and customizable access and control features
- Can be used at home as well
- Bluetooth dongle is sold separately
- GUI can be improved
6. Rockford Fosgate DSR1
Rockford Fosgate’s DSR1 is a fully-featured digital signal processor that you can comfortably add to your current audio system without any worry of losing out on your factory controls, audio setting, or notifications, as a clear and simple method of achieving high-quality audio. You no longer have to apply your custom audio processing and application after removing the factory EQ and crossover settings.
The DSR1 eliminates all the lengthy and complicated steps and simplifies the process by using unprocessed line-level signals from the factory receiver.
Now, you can just tune out the sound without waging war with your existing settings. You will still retain all your original features and your radio too will work the same way.
Technical specifications of the DSR1
- 18 Pin Analog Input Harness
- 16 Pin Analog Output Harness
- Micro USB Setup/Update Port
- 8 assignable inputs
- Four-Channel Balanced Differential RCA Inputs
- Four-Channel High-Level Inputs with Signal Sense Turn On
- 8 preamp outputs (up to 4 volts)
- 31-band parametric EQ on all channels
- Crossover filters can be set as all-pass, high-pass, low-pass, bandpass, high-shelf, or low-shelf filters
- 5-1/16″W x 1-1/4″H x 4″W
Warranty: 1 year
What’s in the box:
- 18-pin input harness
- 16-pin output harness
- Quick-start guide
- 7″ micro USB-to-USB cable
- Digital signal processor
What We Like About Rockford Fosgate DSR1
Built-in iDatalink Maestro AR
You will need access to a PC to go to iDaralink’s website. Then, you can download the firmware for your vehicle’s specifications from there to your DSRI. Once you’ve done that, your data will be translated as will your vehicle’s digital instructions, like how you want to answer calls using Bluetooth.
- Offers an easy solution for replacing factory amplifier
- Bug-free processing
- Adds an easy to use app for tuning from Apple and Android devices
- Warranty available
- Expensive, but powerful audio
7. Hertz H8 DSP Processor
High connectivity, functionality, and peak audio clarity are what you can expect from the Hertz H8 DSP Processor. With an H8 in your car, you can reproduce sound in a slew of ways, all with better frequency response and premium audio.
Compatible with both Mac and Windows devices, you can enjoy playing music from your Apple or Android mobile, as long as it is a smartphone. It is capable of interfacing with any analog and digital source and uses simple, intuitive software to subtly adjust and improve acoustics.
- Dimensions : 191 x 34 x 131 mm or 7.51″ x 1.33″ x 4.76″ inches
- Operating power supply voltage 10.8 – 14.4 VDC
- Power supply 7.5 – 15 VDC
- Idling current 0.4 A
- Remote IN voltage 6.5 – 15 VDC (1.3 mA)
- Remote OUT voltage 12 VDC (130 mA)
- Input impedance (Speaker In) 2.2 k Ohm
- Delay 0 – 15 ms
What We Like About Hertz H8 DSP Processor
Signal Processing Features
This device features an Expert mode, where any of the eight channels can be configured with high and low pass filters. While the crossover points are not infinitely adjustable, there are 68 frequency options available and that is more than enough for any system design.
DRC HE Remote Control
The H8 comes with a DRC HE remote control that is 2.48inches by 1.4 inches and includes five buttons, and a small 4.5-character, 12 segment display.
This is the master volume controller, the subwoofer level controller, and can be used to adjust the balance and fader levels. The given presets can also be toggled using this remote, along with the source input.
- Capable of interfacing with any analog and or digital source
- Very low noise distortion levels
- Intuitive and sensitive interface
- Involves a lengthy installation and set up process.
When choosing your DSP, you’re looking at all the things it has to offer by way of audio quality, price, and also how easy it will be to install, set up to get started. Keeping all that in mind, I believe that either AudioControl LC7i or Taramp’s Pro 2.6 Digital Audio processor are both budget-friendly, great value for money, and also have the best reviews from customers who have already bought and tested the product.