8 Best 4×6 Car Speakers Reviews and Buying Guide 2020
Looking for the best 4x6 speakers set without burning a massive hole in your pocket? Well, you’re in luck today! Buying car components online is a tough job; even tougher when the components happen to be related to audio. Your objections can be many, from price considerations to quality, and doubting whether the speakers will actually fit your vehicle.
But not anymore because we have tried out some of the most coveted products out there to bring you this review. What do you have to do? Just keep on reading.
4x6 Car Speakers Comparison Table
RMS Power Handling
Peak Power Handling
How We Chose The Best 4x6 Car Speakers?
We just didn’t test and evaluate the products were about to review; we reached out to the manufacturers, critics, and other industry leaders to ask about their opinion. We also scoured the Internet for customer feedback – both good and bad, and compared them with our assessment to find out the legitimacy of their experiences.
Among the couple dozen 4x6 speakers we tried, only eight made the cut, and for good reasons. Find out more about why you should buy them from the reviews below.
1. Rockford Fosgate Punch P1462 Full Range Speakers
What better way to start our list of best 4x6 speakers than with this stellar product from Rockford Fosgate? If you are looking for a speaker set which is not only reliable but packs quite a punch, then this could well be the one for you!
Features and Benefits of Rockford Fosgate Punch P1462
- This speaker set comes with Rockford Fosgate’s Vertical Attach Surround Technique (VAST) which essentially increases the speaker’s effective radiating cone area without increasing the speaker size. This technique results in a 25% increase in active radiating cone area compared to a standard 4x6 speaker.
- The Punch P1462 has a flex fit basket which utilizes slots where possible instead of single screw sized holes. This feature facilitates slight adjustment of the speaker when it is mounted.
- The Punch speakers have Integrated Concealed Crossovers (ICC) which conceals the crossover inside the basket. That ensures a clean look and even makes the installation a tad bit easier.
- One of the most convenient features of this speaker pair is its Multi-OEM Adapter plate that allows round component or full-range speakers to be installed in certain OEM openings. In other words, you can fit this speaker pair in almost any vehicle.
- The speaker construction is also something to write home about. The butyl rubber surround, mineral-filled and polypropylene injection molded cone ensure excellent sound quality.
What We Like
- Rockford Fosgate’s Vertical Attach Surround Technique ensures a 25% greater surface area compared to standard 4×6 speakers.
- Excellent performance in the low-end frequency band.
- Multi-OEM Adapter is very convenient.
What We Don’t Like
- Priced a little on the higher side.
- Longevity is questionable.
If you are looking for one of the best car speakers when it comes to low-end performance, then this should be on the top of your list.
Want unmatched bass performance for a reasonable price? Click on the link below!
2. Pioneer TS-A4676R 4" x 6" 3-Way Speaker
Pioneer has been in the audio game for 80 years now, and their expertise is reflected in the TS-A4676R speaker pair. And yes, it is a speaker pair even though the product name says, “Set of 1”, which can be quite misleading. Now that we have got that out of the way let us find out whether this product is worth your money.
Features and Benefits of Pioneer TS-A4676R
- Although the TS-A line offers great value, it comes with the new spider design which incorporates the same material used in the more premium PRS series. This ensures a stiffer suspension and more accurate response.
- The TS-A4676R speaker pair’s cooling basket with air vent means that it will stay cool even under stressful conditions. And this results in better power handling capabilities.
- This speaker set uses different materials which are carefully combined to produce a diaphragm which is not only light, but also quite rigid. This results in a reduction in the level of internal loss and impressive responsiveness sensitivity. In other words, you get vibrant and clear sound quality from these speakers.
- The TS-A4676R has a brand new Multilayer Mica Matrix Cone structure which is highly rigid. This results in wider dispersion of sound with deeper bass. Moreover, the mid to high frequencies are a lot more improved due to the new tweeter design.
What I Like
- Audio performance is excellent in the mid to high frequency band.
- Priced quite competitively.
- The spider design uses materials found in Pioneer’s more premium PRS series.
What I Don’t Like
- Bass lovers might find the low-end performance inadequate.
- RMS power output is just 30 Watts.
Although the bass performance of the TS-A4676R leaves something to be desired, it is easily redeemed by the audio quality in the higher frequency bands. Moreover, it offers great value for money.
Click on the link below if you are looking for a speaker pair which offers excellent audio quality for the money.
3. Infinity REF-6422cfx Kappa Series Coaxial Speakers
In the world of car audio, Infinity is one of the more underrated brands. Not only do they produce top of the line speakers when it comes to audio performance, but they are also well priced. Unfortunately, their product sales are eclipsed by the likes of Rockford Fosgate or Pioneer speakers.
Having said that, we are quite confident that this speaker pair is one of the best car speakers featured on our list. Let’s find out why, shall we?
Features and Benefits of Infinity REF-6422cfx
- This speaker comes with Harman’s patented Plus One cones which provide greater cone surface area compared to similar speakers in its class. This results in a significant improvement in the audio quality, especially in the low-end frequency band.
- The Reference series speakers are available in a wide range of standard sizes and feature a compact design. That means you can install these speakers in almost any vehicle.
- One of the best features of the REF-6422cfx is its tweeters. It not only outperforms its competitors in the high-frequency band but also ensures that it does not crack under full volume.
- Another great feature of this speaker pair’s tweeters is that its output can be adjusted. You can control the output level between 0 dB and +3 dB, and that helps to optimize system linearity based on the location of the speakers.
What I Like
- Excellent audio quality from the tweeters.
- Commendable bass performance.
- Adjustable tweeter output level.
- It is quite easy to install.
What I Don’t Like
- Customer service is not as good as leading car audio brands.
- Build quality could be better.
When it comes to audio quality in the mid to high frequency range, this is undoubtedly one of the best 4x6 speakers. Moreover, the adjustable output of the tweeters makes it an ideal choice for those who seek optimum performance in the highs.
Click on the link below for some lovely crisp and clear vocals!
4. Polk Audio DB461 4x6 Marine Certified Speaker
Like Infinity, this is yet another underrated car audio brand. And while their lineup of car products is among the best, they truly shine with their marine range of speakers. The DB461 is one such marine certified speaker. Now, let’s see why this is considered one of the best products with marine certification.
Features and Benefits Polk Audio DB461
- The Polk Audio DB461 comes with Dynamic Balance polymer/mica composite mineral filled cone which is not only lightweight but also quite rigid. This ensures powerful sound output with little or no distortion.
- This speaker set comes with high and low pass filters (crossovers), which ensure that the mids and highs are superior compared to standard 4x6 coaxial speakers in its price category.
- The Polk Audio DB Series speakers come with Marine Certification. In other words, you can rest assured that your speakers can withstand tough environmental conditions like rain and snow.
- The durable butyl rubber surround is surely among the best. And it is tough enough to withstand stressful conditions like extreme temperatures and sunlight. It is built to last.
- The spider has flexible woven leads sewn directly into it. This ensures higher reliability.
What I Like
- It feels built to last.
- The Marine Certification ensures that it can fare well against tough environmental conditions.
- The mids and highs sound fantastic.
What I Don’t Like
- Installation can be a bit tricky.
- The bass performance is not up to the level of competitors.
Polk Audio has produced fantastic car audio products in the past. But, this speaker might leave you disappointed if you seek great bass performance. The mids and highs, however, make it easily worth the money.
If you want a durable speaker set with excellent mids and highs, look no further and click on the link below.
5. JBL 6420 Club Series 2 Way Speaker
No Best Speakers list would be complete without a JBL product. They are one of the leading car audio brands and for a good reason. Although the Club 6420 is not the finest that JBL has to offer, it can easily trade punches with the best speakers in its price range.
Features and Benefits of JBL Club 6420
- This speaker pair comes with acoustically damped, UV-resistant polypropylene cone. And that results in clean, non-resonant sound quality. Moreover, you do not sacrifice any durability audio performance.
- Just like the Infinity speakers, we reviewed earlier; this product also comes with the same Harman’s patented Plus Onewoofer cone architecture. It helps in increasing the overall speaker cone area compared to standard 4x6 speakers, and that result in higher sensitivity and improved low-frequency output. In other words, you get crisp and clear audio.
- The JBL Club 6420 comes with PEI balanced dome tweeters. This results in smooth, clear highs with great dispersion.
- All Club speakers feature a compact design which lets you install them in almost any vehicle.
What I Like
- The 70 Watts RMS power output means that it is sufficiently loud.
- PEI balanced dome tweeters produce crisp and clear highs.
- Harman’s patented Plus One woofer cone architecture allows for greater cone surface area compared to standard 4×6 speakers.
What I Don’t Like
- Bass performance is not up to the standard of the Rockford Fosgate speaker we reviewed earlier.
- Installation instructions could be better.
The JBL Club 6420 is not the best that the brand has to offer, especially when it comes to bass quality. However, if you can look past that, this speaker pair produces excellent performance in the mid to high frequency range.
If you are looking for a loudspeaker pair with excellent mids and highs, then click on the link below!
6. Kicker KSC4604 KSC460 Coaxial Speaker
Kicker has been in the car audio business for almost 50 years now. Although their experience may not be on the level of Pioneer, it is safe to say that they have caught up in the speaker's department. In fact, the Kicker KSC4604 makes a strong case for itself as one of the best 4x6 speakers under $ 100.
Features and Benefits of Kicker KSC4604 KSC460
- The Kicker KSC4604 comes with Polypropylene Woofer, and tough rubber surrounds. This not only ensures durability, but also excellent audio performance under stress. It really shines in the low-end spectrum.
- One of the best features of this speaker set is its thin-mount design. This ensures that you can install it behind factory grilles without much hassle. If you love the clean look, you will appreciate it.
- This speaker pair comes with silk dome tweeters. That results in an exceptional performance in the high frequency range. In other words, the tweeters produce crisp and clear audio which is easily among the best in its class.
- The Kicker KSC4604 speakers have impressive power handling. In fact, with an RMS power output of 75 Watts, it is the highest on our list. It is loud and does not cripple under full volume.
What I Like
- Performance in the mids and highs is among the best we have reviewed.
- The 75 Watts RMS power output make it the loudest on our list.
- The thin mount design makes it possible to install it behind factory grilles.
What I Don’t Like
- Bass performance is nothing to write home about. It is adequate at best.
- Long-term reliability is questionable!
Kicker Audio has yet another winner on their hands. This is an exceptional speaker pair when it comes to the mids and highs. However, the low-end performance may not satisfy bass heads.
Looking for a speaker set which will rock your world? Click on the link below to get mesmerized!
7. Pyle PL463BL Mid Range Triaxial Speaker
The last two brands on our list may not compete directly with any of the above speakers, but they make quite a strong case when you factor in the value they offer. In fact, at its current price, the Pyle PL463BL provides unmatched value. But, is it worth it? Let’s find out!
Features and Benefits of Pyle PL463BL
- The one-inch neodymium film dome midrange and 3/4-inch piezo tweeter ensure good performance in the mids and highs. The audio quality is smooth, loud and surprisingly crisp for the price.
- This speaker’s woofer features a rather flashy blue poly injection cone which is not only lightweight but also quite stiff. The sturdy construction ensures that it will not fail under stressful conditions.
- The Pyle PL463BL speaker set comes with a 1-inch ASV voice coil which is ready for high temperature and high wattage conditions.
- This speaker pair comes with a non-fatiguing butyl rubber surround which not only keeps the speakers secure, but it also helps in extending the life of the product.
What I Like
- It offers unmatched value for money.
- It is reasonably loud.
- The blue poly injection cone is lightweight and quite rigid.
What I Don’t Like
- Sound quality is average.
- Does not perform well at high volumes.
The Pyle PL463BL speakers are not for everyone. If you are an audiophile, you will not be impressed by the audio quality. However, in case you are looking for a reasonably good speaker pair for an incredibly low price, this is as good as it gets.
If you are looking to upgrade your stock speakers for less than $ 15, click on the link below!
8. BOSS Audio CH4630 3 Way Full Range Speaker
Boss Audio is yet another brand which offers excellent value. Now, the audio quality may not be on the level of Rockford Fosgate or Pioneer, but it’s hard to ignore the price. Moreover, it is surely better than your standard stock speakers.
Features and Benefits of BOSS Audio CH4630
- The 3 Year Platinum Online Dealer Warranty is an excellent feature to have. Since Boss Audio does not have the reliability of the likes of Pioneer and Rockford Fosgate, this ensures peace of mind when buying the product.
- This model supports a maximum of 500 W per 2 pairs, ensuring you never run out of power either in highs or lows.
- The product has a decent build quality despite the lower price because Boss Audio is dedicated to bringing their customers durable products that stand the test of time. The visual aesthetics are worth praising as well with the red and black color combination.
- When it comes to sound quality, the cone material plays a prominent role. Thankfully, the red poly-injection cones ensure that the woofer remains at the top of its game. This is further aided by the butyl rubber surround that sweetens the deal.
- The item weighs only 6 pounds and is compact enough to fit the vast majority of trucks and cars. But you have to be careful while installing them because lightweight and small size also means a certain amount of fragility.
What I Like
- Decent starter speakers for those who want a bit more than stock sounds.
- Aesthetically pleasing both to the eyes and ears.
- Quite easy to fit due to its small size and lightweight.
What I Don’t Like
- Not good when paired up with amplifiers; so be careful not to blow out the speakers
The BOSS Audio CH4630 is a decent entry-level 4x6 speaker system that won’t take a toll on your wallet. If your expectations are not sky high, this model will suffice.
Throw out those stock speakers and try this one. We promise that you will not be disappointed.
Things To Consider Before Buying an Ideal 4x6 Car Speaker
Actually, choosing the best speakers for your car isn’t as difficult as some people make it to be. Keeping all opinions aside, there are only three things you need to focus on: sensitivity, power handling, woofer cone materials, and price
Let’s see how these three aspects influence the overall quality:
- Sensitivity: This is the unit of measurement of the speaker’s sound in ratio to the power that supplied. Most factory installed speakers have low power (often 15 W RMS or less per channel), so they’ll benefit from using high sensitivity speakers that are 90 dB or more. Lower sensitivity would be best for speakers with a larger power system, having 16 W RMS or more.
- Power handling: This is the unit using which you can identify the power handling capacity of a speaker. If you have a low-powered stereo, your speakers don’t have to be models that can tolerate high power. However, powerful external amps will require speakers having power handling capacity that matches the amp’s output.
- Woofer cone quality: The size of a woofer directly influences its low-end frequency reproductive capability. Since car speakers can be only of a limited size, manufacturers experiment with different cone materials to boost output. So, be aware of the type of cone used in your choice of speakers before buying.
- Price: Last but not least, the price is a consideration that everyone must bear in mind. While the purpose of this review was to bring you affordable yet quality products, don’t shy away from checking out others – even if they cost less or more. You never know what system you might come across that completely changes your car audio experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answer: 4 by 6 speakers are commonly installed in the dash as front speakers. As with other front car speakers, 4x6s dictate the sound stage alongside adding a fair amount of bass to your car audio system. They place vocals and instruments where they should be, thus enhancing the sound delivery a great deal. Investing sufficiently in front speakers ensures that you get high-quality overall sound from your car audio system.
Answer: The amount of power a set of car speakers need will depend on: first, its power rating, and secondly, the kind of stereo or receiver in your car. If you are still using the car’s factory stereo, most 4x6 speakers will need about 50w to 200w of RMS power. This power is adequate for bass production.
If you are using an aftermarket receiver and a sub together with the new speakers, plan for around 200-300w of RMS power. For amplified speakers with 50w RMS per channel, 250-500w RMS should suffice.
Remember the first thing to check when selecting an aftermarket speaker is its power handling, and to make sure that it matches that of the powering system in your car.
Answer: While many head units have built-in amps, the majority of them face considerable power limitations when they have to power aftermarket speakers. You may experience some distortion at higher volumes if you power your new 4x6 speakers using an in-built amp. The best way to avoid or eliminate this problem is adding an amplifier. The separate amp will power any subs in the system and still manage your 4x6s so that they give out their best.
Answer: The impedance rating on a speaker implies its efficiency, that is, how well it uses power. Greater impedance is better than lower impedance. However, a higher efficiency rating does not automatically mean that that the speaker will sound better.
Of more importance to a speaker’s sound quality is the kind of power source it uses. For example, if you intend to use a low-powered factory system, then the speaker you select should have an efficiency rating of at least 90dB. Any speaker that has an efficiency rating lower than 90dB needs a more powerful amplifier or powered receiver.
Answer: If your intention is just to improve your factory car audio system, 4X6 speakers will add an acceptable amount of bass. Installing a set of non-expensive speakers in the car’s dash can give your tunes a great uplift at a small budget. Lovers of big bass should look for bigger car speakers that deliver bigger and punchier bass than 4x6s.
Answer: 2-way 4 by 6 car speakers have a woofer and tweeter combined in a single speaker box. Some 2-way speakers use a crossover to prevent the undesired effects of frequencies from different speakers mixing. 3-way 4x6 speakers combine a mid-range speaker, a tweeter, and a woofer in one enclosure.
Generally, 3-way speakers from the same manufacturer reproduce low frequencies better than 2-way speakers. This is because the mid-range speaker is able to handle mid-range frequencies while the woofer deals with the lower frequency range.
Answer: The ease of installation of any speakers depends on many factors, including your installation skills and whether the speakers are coaxial or component. If you want to customize your car audio system and have reliable installation skills, go for nice 4x6 component speakers. The resulting sound output will be super fantastic. Coaxial speakers are easier to install but limit your customization opportunities.
Regardless of the type of speakers you have, hiring a professional car audio equipment expert for the installation work is unavoidable if you don’t have the requisite skills to do a DIY installation.
Look, there is no “one product that suits all” in this review. Each of the eight 4x6 speakers we chose has their own unique traits that make them worth trying out. In the end, it all boils down to your choice of audio quality, design, and purpose. And not to forget a fixed budget. You can try any of these speakers, and we guarantee that you won’t be disappointed.